Friday, September 20, 2013

Five Minute Fridays: SHE

Today's Five-Minute Friday Prompt is the Word..."She"


 SHE:  Side-tracked Home Executive.  A word I first heard maybe 7 or 8 years ago when my friend, Debbie, introduced me to a website that saved my life... www.flylady.net.  (The term "SHE," originally comes from this site:  http://www.shesintouch.com/ ) Debbie was kind enough to point this struggling, overwhelmed minister's wife and mom in a VERY helpful direction and give me some truly valuable input!

Side-tracked Home Executive.  SHE.  I had to laugh.  You mean, there was actually a word for people whose brains work like mine?!?  All-of-a-sudden, I felt more normal.  You mean there were other people who related to the poem, "If You Give a Mom a Muffin" (can be found at the end of this post) and whose brains, priorities, daily movements, and lives actually worked like that, too?!?

The term SHE was a gift to me.  A kind, grace-filled word that helped me re-frame who I was and how I did life.  Instead of hating myself for being the way I was, I began to see the purpose behind God creating me, and many others, that way.

Last night, I took a few minutes with my little ones cuddling on the couch.  I had a stuffy nose and a stuffier head. :)  Browsing through Netflix, I found a movie entitled, "I Don't Know How She Does It?!?"  If I had a dime for everytime someone has said that to me, I would be rich.  SO ironic...

But the truth of the matter is that I related so deeply to the character in that movie who was just juggling life the best she could.  Side-tracked sometimes.  Late sometimes.  Over-extended sometimes.  But wearing a genuine smile, striving for excellence, and doing her best to love those around her faithfully, deeply.  I laughed, and cried, as I watched her juggling routine.  It soothed my soul, as I watched her switch hats faithfully and try to keep it all going, hoping nothing would drop or fall through the cracks.

I also thought to myself...I may be a juggler at times, but I am a juggler who lives, breathes, and drinks in grace.  Because I have dropped plates, and had things fall through the cracks more times than I can count.  And deep down, I know the truth.  I am a SHE -- A side-tracked home executive who relies on grace. :)

Thankful that God loves me, and God loves SHE's!

If You Give A Mom A Muffin
Muffin - IMG_0246 by Beth Brubaker
If you give a mom a muffin,
She’ll want a cup of coffee to go with it.
She’ll pour herself some.
Her three-year-old will spill the coffee.
She’ll wipe it up.
Wiping the floor, she’ll find dirty socks.
She’ll remember she has to do laundry.
When she puts the laundry in the washer,
She’ll trip over boots and bump into the freezer.
Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan for supper.
She will get out a pound of hamburger.
She’ll look for her cookbook
(“101 Things To Do With a Pound of Hamburger”).**
The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail.
She will see the phone bill, which is due tomorrow.
She will look for her checkbook.
The check book is in her purse that is being dumped out by her two-year-old.
She’ll smell something funny.
She’ll change the two year old’s diaper.
While she is changing the diaper, the phone will ring.
Her five-year-old will answer and hang up.
She’ll remember she wants to phone a friend for coffee.
Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup.
And chances are…
If she has a cup of coffee,
Her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I love this acronym and how it has helped you accept how you are and who you are - and grace. And I especially love this - "I may be a juggler at times, but I am a juggler who lives, breathes, and drinks in grace." There is a beautiful rest in being able to name who we are and accept this with grace. You wrote that so well.

    ReplyDelete